Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Dissolution

His face is familiar. Wait. No it's not. Is it? (How am I suppose to know.)
Maybe you've seen him before on the way to work. (You don't have a job.) No, I do have a job, I do work. I'm a lab assistant at the college lab, the study of change is so fascinating -
(Study of matter. See, you're not a lab assistant after all.)
No, I wasn't finished talking-
(He's talking.)
Who?
(The man with the familiar face.)
But who is he?

The words are incomprehensible. They're English, there's no doubt about it, but the order of the words creates no logical sense. Not even real sentences, the single words leaving his mouth to his audience consisting of me and the air. Compounds. Sky. House. Dog. Elements. Ice cubes. Pizza. Lady bug. Lectin. Pizza. I know you're a scientist. Russia. I know you. Bonds. You're favorite color is purple. Watermelon. Pizza. Aiden. He stops speaking and looks directly at you, a dead silence talking over the confused air, as if the mysteries of the universe are forming in your mouth. (I thought we already determined you aren't a scientist.)
"I don't respond to that." I wonder what else he knows-

His face is gone. You are sitting. The chair is more or less comfortable, maybe a little more back support and it would be a fine chair indeed. Where are you? Where is the familiar face?
(Pizza.) What about it? (You had pizza on your mind.) Only because the familiar face was talking about it. (Was he?)
You don't respond to that. (Your face is adorable when it's confused.)

The chair is suddenly uncomfortable, the metal burning from the brutality of the sun in the battle of the cool against the fire. Sweat appears to be running down you're face, maybe from the heat but the heart slamming into your ribs begs to differ. (Oh calm down.) Easy for you to say. (I wouldn't go that far.)

Your phone is in your hand, you're memory searching for numbers, any numbers, that will explain what is happening. (It might be helpful if you can remember your passcode.) Not helping. You move your fingers across the screen, perhaps the motion will cause the numbers to reappear in your mind. (Well opening the camera app will help you.) Shut up. (Make me.)

You look down at the phone in your shaking hands. The familiar face is back. (Cats out of the bag now.) Your heart beats faster and your ears pick up on uneven breathing. (Don't bother throwing the phone in some sort of "frightened" state. We always knew this was a risk. Try not to act so surprised.)
Who are you!

(You.)

No comments:

Post a Comment